From Pulpit and Press by Mary Baker Eddy
[Boston Journal, January 7, 1895]
CHIMES RANG SWEETLY
21 Much admiration was expressed by all those fortunate
enough to listen to the first peal of the chimes in the tower
of The First Church of Christ, Scientist, corner of Fal-
24 mouth and Norway Streets, dedicated yesterday. The
sweet, musical tones attracted quite a throng of people,
who listened with delight.
27 The chimes were made by the United States Tubular
1 Bell Company, of Methuen, Mass., and are something
of a novelty in this country, though for some time well
3 and favorably known in the Old Country, especially in
They are a substitution of tubes of drawn brass for the
6 heavy cast bells of old-fashioned chimes. They have the
advantage of great economy of space, as well as of cost, a
chime of fifteen bells occupying a space not more than
9 five by eight feet.
Where the old-fashioned chimes required a strong man
to ring them, these can be rung from an electric keyboard,
12 and even when rung by hand require but little muscular
power to manipulate them and call forth all the purity
and sweetness of their tones. The quality of tone is some-
15 thing superb, being rich and mellow. The tubes are care-
fully tuned, so that the harmony is perfect. They have
all the beauties of a great cathedral chime, with infinitely
18 less expense.
There is practically no limit to the uses to which these
bells may be put. They can be called into requisition in
21 theatres, concert halls, and public buildings, as they range
in all sizes, from those described down to little sets of
silver bells that might be placed on a small centre table.